101 Inflammation Guide
A practical guide to understanding everything about inflammation. How to measure inflammation? Which herbs and spices can lower inflammation? Which drugs are effective to lower inflammation? What effects does inflammation have on weight loss and recovery?
1. Cinnamon 1/2 to 1 teaspoon (2-4 grams):
- Lab studies have found that cinnamon may reduce inflammation, have antioxidant effects, and fight bacteria.
- Some research has found that a particular type of cinnamon, cassia cinnamon, may lower blood sugar in people with diabetes.
- Star Anise and Nutmeg pair well with cinnamon
- Powerful antioxidant
- Anti inflammatory
- Weight Loss (raises metabolism)
Helps reduce Atherosclerosis, high cholesterol, cancer.
3. Ginger: 1-2 grams daily
- Powerful Anti-inflammatory
- Improves nutrient absorption
- Useful for overcoming colds and reducing stomach cramps
- Improves thermogenesis and curbs hunger.
- Alleviates stiffness and arthitis
- Helps prevent Alzheimer’s
- Reduces arthritis
- Prevention of certain cancers
5. Cayenne Pepper ¼ tsp
- Improves circulation and blood flow
- Reduces Cholesterol
- Creates satiety, raises thermogenesis, and improves fat oxidation.
- Boosts metabolism, causing you to burn more calories.
7. Oolong Tea (4 cups daily)
- Reduction of heart disease,
- Reduce cholesterol
- Fiber. Flaxseed contains both the soluble and insoluble types
- Omega-3 essential fatty acids particularly ALA. Each tablespoon of ground flaxseed contains about 1.8 grams of plant omega-3s.
- Lignans, which have both plant estrogen and antioxidant qualities. Flaxseed contains 75 to 800 times more lignans than other plant foods.
- Packed with minerals including: manganese, magnesium, phosphorus, calcium, zinc, potassium
- Almost all carbohydrates come from fiber
- Omega-3 essential fatty acids particularly ALA.
Complete essential Amino Acid profile
Why is inflammation important?
Other than it being a great indicator for possible infection and injury… inflammation levels are inversely proportional to recovery amount and speed. So reduce inflammation and you’ll be less sore, your muscle will recovery faster, and your gains will be greater.
|BRAND NAME||GENERIC NAME|
|Ascriptin, Bayer, Ecotrin||aspirin|
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs
|BRAND NAME||GENERIC NAME|
- Effectiveness varies person to person, so if the drug you are using isn’t working, ask for a different one.
- Side effects also vary person to person, so ask for a different one if the one you have doesn’t work.
- There are plenty of possible side effects from taking NSAID’s so if you can do without taking inflammatory drugs… you should do so.
Balancing Fats with Omega 3, Omega 6, and Omega 9
- Critical with the Western Diet.
- Balancing ALA, EPA, and DHA
- 6g ALA, 2g EPA, 1.2-1.4g DHA
- List of foods with Omega 3
Adding Anti inflammatory foods
- Cinnamon 1/2 to 1 teaspoon (2-4 grams):
- Green Tea (4 glasses per day)
- Ginger: 1-2 grams daily
- Turmeric: 400-600mg
- Cayenne Pepper ¼ tsp
- Black Pepper (20 mg of piperidine)
- Oolong Tea (4 cups daily)
- Cigarettes and smoking
- High carb low fat diets
- Lack of sleep
- Generally any activity that raise cortisol levels
Measuring internal inflammation
- The InBody 570 can measure inflammation through determining extra cellular to total body water ratio. The higher the amount of extra cellular water, the more cellular lysis that it is occurring. A leading cause of cellular damage is poor cell wall integrity. Since Sand & Steel has an InBody 570 we can determine whether changes in nutrition lower inflammation in practice (not just theory.)
- If you go to a physician, you can order a C- Reactive Protein measurement.
- Other markers of inflammation include
- SED Rate
- High levels of Homocysteine
- Elevated Ferritin in the blood
- Elevated HDL
- Elevated Monocytes can be a secondary indicator of inflammation
- Elevated Blood Glucose is a leading indicator of inflammation