Peanuts vs Cashews
The Nut Showdown
Good stuff about Cashews
- copper 98% 1
- phosphorus 34%
- manganese 33%
- magnesium 29%
- zinc 21%
They also happen to a good amount of lesser-known phytonutrients, such as antioxidants, tyrosinase, melanin, elastin, proanthocyanidins, and oleic acid.
Bad Stuff about Cashews
- High Calorie Density 2
- Very high in Omega 6 which raises inflammation
Good Stuff about Peanuts
- High in mono-unsaturated fats, but so are cashews.
- Very inexpensive, whereas cashew are expensive.
Problems with Peanuts
- Contains Aflowtoxins which are toxic and carninogenic in some studies. 3
- Contains no Omega 3 (all Omega 6) raises inflammation 4
- Contains a lectin called Peanut Agglutinin which binds carbohydrates 5
Cashews win every time. In all the years that I have been coaching nutrition, I’ve never once recommended that a client eat peanuts over cashews.
1 thought on “Cashews vs. Peanuts: which is nut is better?”
Great post! Cashews are also higher in Iron, which is a nutrient that many are deficient in. As for Vitamin E and Vitamin B3, peanuts would be better.
Comments are closed.