Huevos Rancheros is the Mexican variation of the traditional American breakfast. Instead of ham, bacon, eggs, and pancakes, huevos rancheros features eggs, tortillas, beans, and salsa. Our recipe removes all of the unhealthy elements, balances out the macros, and makes this a healthy breakfast knockout. Plus it tastes awesome and is super simple to make.
Healthy Huevos Rancheros Recipe
A Joint Recipe by Mark Rebok & Paul Roberts
Preparation Time: 10 Minutes
Cooking Time: 6 Minutes
Nutrition & Macros:
- Calories: 627
- Carbohydrates: 47g
- Fats: 30g
- Protein: 44g
Ingredients for Healthy Huevos Rancheros Recipe:
- ⅔ Cup Red Kidney Beans (with juice) (Healthy Starch)
- 4 Scallions (green onions) (Healthy Starch)
- 1 TBL Goya sofrito (Healthy Vegetable)
- 2 TBL Fresh Cilantro (Healthy Vegetable)
- 1/2 Cup Pico de Gallo (Healthy Vegetable)
- Butter Lettuce as the Tortilla (Healthy Vegetable) 1
- 3 XL Eggs + 1/2 Cup Egg White (Healthy Protein)
- ½ Avocado (Healthy Fat)
- 2 tsp olive oil (Healthy Fat)
- 1/2 Lime (Healthy Fruit)
Preparation Method for Healthy Huevos Rancheros Recipe:
- Prep: Roughly chop cilantro, and cut avocado and scallions into thin slices.
- Lightly grease 2 saucepans and set on medium heat. To the first pan, add Sofrito and 1 tsp olive oil, cook until sofrito simmers. Add beans with juice, season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Stir and simmer for 5 minutes, or until sauce thickens.
- In the second pan, add the eggs, and fry until edges get crispy (around 4-5 minutes). When eggs are cooked, transfer to lettuce.
- Remove beans from heat, and mash until a smooth paste is created. Top eggs with bean paste, pico de gallo, avocado slices, cilantro, and scallions. Garnish with lime wedge and serve immediately.
Meal Plan and Diet Coaching Alexandria VA:
Mark and Paul provide meal planning and diet coaching for Sand & Steel. If you are looking to improve your body composition, please check out Nutrition Program in Alexandria VA.
Other Egg Recipes:
- Sand & Steel Recipes
- Bibimbap Recipe
- Scotch Eggs
- Want your Egg Recipe Featured? Add a comment below.
- Traditionally this recipe would use 2 corn tortillas. The butter lettuce is much lower in calories, more healthy, and better balanced. ↩