Strength, Yoga, Mobility, and Nutrition
Hi, and thanks for checking out my bio! I’m Paul, and I specialize in helping people move better. I help people build real world strength for all activities. I help clients recover from injuries and I align their bodies to prevent injuries. I’ve written over 3000 workouts spread across 60 unique workout plans. Similarly, I’ve designed over 40 custom yoga flows to help people build strength and range of motion in their yoga practice.
As a professional personal trainer, I’ve coached over 10,000 hours worth of personal training, yoga, and mobility sessions. I train about 500 new clients a year. I’ve personally taught over 100 personal trainers how to coach through Sand & Steel’s mentorship program. In all regards, I am a professional in what I do.
My recipe for success boils down to customization of the training session to the needs of the client. Many of my clients have mobility restrictions, challenging weight loss goal, or prior injuries. I can quickly modify workouts and yoga flows to protect against injury and optimize the training. In my mobility sessions, I help strengthen weaknesses, improve range of motion, and build durable biomechanics.
To help clients build muscle and lose fat, I’ve developed Sand and Steel’s Blueprint Diet Program. It’s based on years of nutrition research of many different popular diets, with several key changes to make improving body composition more consistent. Like my training, this diet program works because its customized to your needs, your lifestyle, and your preferences.
CrossFit, Yoga, Mobility, and Personal Training Certifications
- Biomedical Engineer: Johns Hopkins University
- Yoga Inversions and Arm Balances Workshop
- Yoga SCW Level II Certified: Hatha Yoga, Yoga for Seniors, Chakra balancing, Inversions, Pranayamas
- Functional Range Conditioning (FRC): Improve Flexibility and Strength at the End of Range of Motion
- Kinstretch: Mobility and Flexibility Certification for Group Classes
- Functional Aging Specialist (FAI): Specialty Training For Older Adults and Seniors
- 3DMAPS: 3 Dimensional Movements Analysis and Performance System
- Muscle Energy Techniques: Rehabilitation and Mobility
- Mobility|WOD Movement and Mobility Specialist: Movement and Mechanics
- RockTape FMT RockBlades Basic & Advanced: Instrument Assisted Soft Tissue Mobilization (IASTM), Graston, and Scraping to Alleviate Pain and Improve Mobility
- RockTape FMT Performance and Basic: Functional Movement Techniques & Advanced Kinetic Taping
- RockTape FMT RockPods Cupping: Cupping to Improve Tissue Regeneration and Release Entrapped Nerves
- RockTape FMT RockFloss: Voodoo Bands and Occlusion Band (RockFloss) Therapy to Loosen and Mobilize Tight Fascia
- Y-Balance Testing: Examination of Movement Patterns and Imbalances for Functional Assessment
- FMS Level II: Functional Movement Screen and Corrective Exercise Techniques
- Road Runner Certified Coach: RRCA Certified Coach
- Starting Strength Seminar: Powerlifting Certification by Mark Riptoe
- TRX Suspension Training: Core and Bodyweight Training Techniques
- TRX Group Training Certification: Specialization in teaching TRX Suspension Training in Group Classes
- TRX Functional Training: Specialization in Multi-modal Techniques Combining TRX with Other Training System
- RKC Russian Kettlebell Club: Strength & Conditioning Through Kettlebells
- CrossFit Level 2: Weight loss and Metabolic Training
- CrossFit Powerlifting: Strength Training
- CrossFit Gymnastics: Bodyweight and Mobility
- CrossFit Scaling Course: Progressions and Regressions for Weight Lifting
- CrossFit Lesson Planning: Effective Techniques for Structuring Workouts
- CrossFit Pose Running: How to Spot Faults in Running Technique
- CrossFit Spot the Flaw: How to Spot Faults in Gymnastics and Weight Lifting Technique
- Precision Nutrition: Nutrition Coaching, Meal Planning, and Diet
- Certified in First Aid and CPR/AED National Foundation: Basic First Aid and CPR
Paul’s Social Media Channels
“What My Clients Say About Training With Me”
It’s worth mentioning that unlike many other websites, these are real review from real websites like Yelp and Facebook. These reviews are all from active clients … real people you’ll meet at Sand & Steel. People that want to meet you and join you in your journey to improve. View all Reviews.
“My coaching style is all about customizing the personal training session to your goals, fitness level, and biomechanics.”
I scale personal training sessions through progressions and regressions so that they are safe and effective for you. Yes, I’m a big fitness nerd with my fancy graphs and conjugate periodization programs. I like working out to 80s music by artists like Jefferson Starship and Jim Josef. I own that. But make no mistake, you will be drenched in sweat, and you’ll feel sore in muscles you never knew you had. You are only as strong as your weakest links… so train the smart way… with better mobility and stronger biomechanics. Let’s create a foundation for real strength training. Yes it’s going to be hard, but it will be scaled to you safely. And in the end … I’m going to get you in the best shape of your life.
- Jim Stoppani’s Encyclopedia of Muscle & Strength by Jim Stoppani. Fitness
- Overcoming Neck and Back Pain by Kit Laughlin. Mobility
- Clinical Neurodynamics: A New System of Neuromusculoskeletal Treatment by Michael Shacklock. Mobility
- Back Mechanic by Dr. Stuart McGill. Mobility
- The Complete Book of Vinyasa Yoga by Ramaswami, Srivatsa. Yoga
- 1,500 Stretches: The Complete Guide to Flexibility and Movement by Liebman, Hollis. Stretching
- Free+Style: Maximize Sport and Life Performance with Four Basic Movements by Carl Paoli. CrossFit Gymnastics
- Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength (Second Edition) by Low, Steven. Bodyweight Training
- Tactical Barbell V1 and V2 by K. Black. Powerlifting.
- Bigger Leaner Stronger by Michael Matthews. Fitness
- Ignite the Fire: The Secrets to Building a Successful Personal Training Career by Goodman, Jonathan. Personal Training
- Anatomy Trains: Myofascial Meridians for Manual and Movement Therapists, 3e by Thomas Myers.
- The Complete Guide to Yin Yoga by Bernie Clark and Sarah Powers.
- Yin Yoga Principles & Practice by Paul Grilley.
My Recent Book Reviews
All of my recent book reviews are available on our website. Please comment and share them if you find them helpful.
Personal Training Methodology
Whether your goals are based in performance, bodybuilding, weight loss, or rehabilitation, improvement begins and ends with proper mobility and exercise mechanics.
- Partner Based Yoga
- NCSA Certified Strength and Conditioning Coach (CSCS)
- Power Lifting
- NSCA National Strength and Conditioning Association
View Paul’s Before and After Story
+ tips on how to transform your body