PowerLifting Alexandria VA Strength Training
6-Week Powerlifting Alexandria VA Program
Repeat program for 6 weeks working out 4 times per week
Buckle In - Dynamic Legs - WOD 60Buckle In is a dynamic effort legs day. Static weight is plates plus the bar. Accommodating resistance is weight with chains and/or bands. An olympic ring set can be substituted for the TRX Body Saw. The Glute Ham Roller from Sorinex can be substituted with an Ab wheel.
|Movement||Sets||Reps||Duration||Static Weight||Accommodating Resistance||Rest|
|Box Squat||12||2||N/A||50% ORM||25% ORM||45 seconds|
|Conventional Deadlift||3||8||N/A||40% ORM||30% ORM||30 seconds|
|Sled Drive||5||90 seconds||BW||N/A||45 seconds|
|TRX Body Saw||3||20||N/A||N/A||N/A||45 seconds|
|Glute Ham Roller Rollout||5||20||N/A||N/A||N/A||45 seconds|
Angel-Dynamic Upper Body- WOD 61Westside workout Angel. A dynamic day on the Westside Conjugate system involving Overheard press as the main movement. The weights are based on the on rep max or (ORM) and change week to week.
|Strict Overhead Press||9||3||N/A||50% of ORM||30% of ORM||30-45 seconds|
|Ring Pullups||4||10||N/A||N/A||N/A||45 seconds|
|Row 250 M||3||N/A||45secs||N/A||N/A||90 seconds||Max Effort|
|Ring Static Fly and Hollow Body Hold||6||N/A||30secs||N/A||N/A||20 seconds|
|Reverse Band Fly||5||4||N/A||N/A||N/A||30 seconds|
|Candle Sticks||5||4||N/A||N/A||N/A||30 seconds|
|GHR Pikes||3||20||N/A||N/A||N/A||45 seconds|
Strength and Honor - Max Effort Leg Day- WOD 62A Max Effort Leg day with the deadlift being the prime movement. All weights are based upon the one rep max (ORM) which should increase each week.
|Conventional Deadlift||3||Max Effort||N/A||90% of ORM||N/A||2-5 minutes||Within each set perform as many reps as you can cleanly execute|
|Barbell Cleans||3||20||N/A||N/A||N/A||45 seconds|
|Assault Bike Sprints||4||10 Calories||30-40 seconds||N/A||N/A||2 minutes||Max Effort sprint|
|Sand Bag Snatches||3||15||N/A||30lb||N/A||30 seconds|
|Handstand Walks||4||50 Steps||N/A||N/A||N/A||45 seconds||Scale to workable goal, hard effort|
|Yoga Leg Holds||4||N/A||60 Seconds||N/A||N/A||30- 45 seconds|
Glory - Max Effort Chest/Triceps- WOD 63Max effort upper body day with the Push Press as the prime mover. The weights are based upon a percentage of the one rep max (ORM) of the client.
|Push Press||3||Max Effort||N/A||90% of ORM||N/A||2-3 minutes||Complete as many reps as you can safely and cleanly execute|
|Dumbell One Arm Press||4||20||N/A||30% of ORM||N/A||45 seconds|
|TRX Spiderman Planks||4||25||N/A||N/A||N/A||45 seconds|
|Decline Bench Situps with Mace||4||25||N/A||20lb||N/A||45 seconds|
Powerlifting Alexandria VA Sand & Steel Fitness
Powerlifting is a strength based program focused on the Bench, Squat and Deadlift. In a lifting program we are focused on gaining strength using the prime moves of Deadlift, Bench, and Squat. By adding in variations on the main lifts (Sumo Deadlift, Romanian, or Front Squat, Incline Bench etc) and adding accessory moves (Dumbell press, Pull ups, Tate Press etc) you quickly gain overall strength.
In a traditional Powerlifting Competition a lifter will have three (3) attempts at each lift to reach maximal strength; these competitions are timed around a lifted peak performance. While you are not required to enter a competition, we will take you through a full training cycle and then retest your lifts.
Young or Old, short or tall anyone can take a up a Powerlifting program and reao the benefits (increased Power, Strength, Bone Density) if they have the necessary mobility and core strength. While everyone can benefit from a lifting program these are complex moves and require a great deal of core control to protect the lifter from injury. Mobility plays a large roll in the execution of the safe execution of these moves. If we feel it is not safe, we will work on the problem areas so you can eventually lift safely and at your full potential
At Sand & Steel we have not only different PowerLifting Alexandria VA programs, but also the latest equipment and tools. If Rogue makes it, we probably own it. From Barbells to Football Bars to Safety Squats and Chains. We are equipped to challenge your muscles and get you the results you desire.
- 5/3/1 Powerlifting: uses the 5/3/1 volume and frequency method for the Squats, Bench, Deadlift, and press to provide rapid strength improvements.
- WestSide “Conjugate” Strength Training: uses the Westside method to build strength through the use of band and chain resisted movements. 4 day cycle involving two max effort days, and 2 dynamic effort days
- Starting Strength: 4 week training cycle and adding in the Olympic lifts (Clean/Jerk, Snatch) to gain maximal strength through 5×5 sets
- Glute Powerlifting by Brett Contreras: Programmed in two-week blocks with accessory moves changing every two weeks and incorporating body weight moves.
Powerlifting vs. Bodybuilding
- Bodybuilding is about shaping your physique to look a certain way with each muscle is trained individually.
- Powerlifting utilizes compound movements to get the most raw strength
- Bodybuilding is very high volume, high rep training to create muscle hypertrophy
- Powerlifting is moderate to low reps at heavy weights- designed to build strength/power
- Powerlifting is a meant to build maximal strength, bodybuilding is focused on lifting to sculpt the muscle.
Powerlifting vs. Metabolic Conditioning
- Metabolic Conditioning is focused on increasing your cardiovascular capacity and weight loss.
- Power lifting will shape and change your body but the goal is strength and power.
- Metabolic Conditioning utilizes higher reps with the goal of getting the heart pumping.
- Both will use compound movements, but with different goals the workouts are different. A heavy squat for Powerlifting vs. Multiple light weight squats in Metabolic Conditioning.
Powerlifting vs. Functional Training
- Functional training is a term that is often used, when used here we mean specific training towards a specific goal; i.e. becoming stronger in movements that translate to every day strength.
- The focus with Functional training is to build your muscles and conditioning to mimic those moves used in every day life and to reduce injury risk.
- Powerlifting is overall strength towards 1 rep max goals, functional Training is strengthening for every day movements.
- Functional Training is going to use moderate to no weights for majority of the movements
Powerlifting and CrossFit
- CrossFit can get a bad name in the Powerlifting community, but the truth is the stronger you become the more well rounded you will be as a CrossFit athlete.
- The sport of CrossFit is developing towards the stronger athlete- not just the fastest. The downside is a lot of CrossFit programming skips over raw strength and favors volume in the lifts.
- Building a strong strength base will improve the over all benefit.
- Powerlifters may scoff at box jumps, but in truth they are a helpful move in practicing leg power, just what you need to stand up a heavy squat.