I’ve been reading books on Yoga, CrossFit, and Movement for 10 years. Here is my review of the top 200 books on books on CrossFit, Mobility, Yoga, Physical Therapy, Mobility and Personal Training.
Fitness and Bodybuilding Books
While there are many books on bodybuilding, none of them are amazing. Still, here are some of my favorites
- The Men’s Health Big Book of Exercises by Adam Campbell. My Rating 9/10. Book Review: it’s a big book of exercises… with most of them demonstrated correctly. It’s a good book, highly recommended for adding variety to your workouts.
- The New Rules for Lifting by Lou My Rating 8/10. Book Review: Lou covers some of the foundational topics of programming very well. He discusses the differences between weight loss, strength, and hypetrophy programming. He gives sample programs to help new lifters.
- P90x Videos Series by Beachbody and Tony Horton. My Rating 8/10
- Bring It! by Tony Horton. My Rating 6/10
- The New Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding by Arnold Schwarzenegger. My Rating 4/10
- Delavier’s Sculpting Anatomy for Women: Shaping your core, butt, and legs by Frederic Delavier. My Rating 3/10
- Bodybuilding Anatomy-2nd Edition by Nicholas Evans. My Rating 2/10
- Keys to the Universe by Bill Pearl. My Rating 1/10.
- Bigger Leaner Stronger by Michael Matthews. Currently Reading
- Jim Stoppani’s Encyclopedia of Muscle & Strength by Jim Stoppani. Currently Reading
- Ignite the Fire: The Secrets to Building a Successful Personal Training Career by Goodman, Jonathan. Personal Training
- Better than Steroids by Warren Willey. Amazon Wishlist
Bodyweight & Gymnastics
- The IMPACT! Body Plan by Todd Durkin. My Rating 9/10
- Men’s Health Your Body is Your Barbell by BJ Gaddor. My Rating 8/10
- Bodyweight Strength Training Anatomy by Bret Contreras. My Rating 6/10
- Insanity Video Series by Beachbody and Sean T. My Rating 6/10
- Bodyweight Strength Training by Jay Cardiello. My Rating 3/10
- Free+Style: Maximize Sport and Life Performance with Four Basic Movements by Carl Paoli. Amazon Wishlist.
- Complete Calisthenics: The Ultimate Guide to Bodyweight Training by Ashley Kalym. Amazon Wishlist.
- The Naked Warrior by Pavel Tsatsouline. Amazon Wishlist.
- Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength (Second Edition) by Low, Steven. Bodyweight Training
- The Big Book of Clubbell Training by Scott Sonnon. Rating 9/10
CrossFit & General Physical Preparedness
- By the Numbers by Sean Manseau. Rating 10/10.
- Learning to Breathe Fire by J.C Hertz. Amazon Wishlist.
- First: What it Takes to Win by Rich Froning. Not Interested.
- Kettlebell Rx by Jeff Martone. Booking Rating 7/10. Book Review: Jeff Martone’s book remains the seminal work I’ve read on kettlebell training. It’s a little old, and it’s publication quality could be better. But there is solid material in here, with great explanations on what’s correct and what’s not.
- Enter The Kettlebell! Strength Secret of The Soviet Supermen by Pavel Tsatsouline. Booking Rating 6/10. Book Review: This book is pretty old (2006, I think.) It was the first book on Kettlebells I read (12 years ago gasp!) It did teach me the foundations of Kettlebell technique, and still is largely correct in its methodology.
- Kettlebell Training by Steve Cotter. Booking Rating 5/10. Book Review: This book is halfway decent, but I can’t recommend it over Jeff Martone’s book. You don’t need both, and Kettlebell Rx is better.
- RKC Book of Strength and Conditioning by Geoff Neupert. Booking Rating 3/10. Book Review: This book is stupid really. It’s just a random collection of good workouts by very good instructors. It should a be a blog post, and it should be free.
- Kettlebell Simple & Sinister by Pavel Tsatsouline. Booking Rating 2/10. Book Review: In this book, Pavel basically just provides general “hard-core” training tips. You’ll learn about the culture of Strong-First, which is an offshoot of the RKC (after they split ways.) Not a particularly valuable book. It’s nicely printed. What I don’t like about this book is that it’s mostly a long advertisement for Strong-First. It really is a buy-my-cert so you can be strong like us.
Mobility, Stability, & Stretching
- Becoming a Supple Leopard 2nd Edition by Kelly Starrett. Mobility. Book Rating 10/10
- Stretching & Flexibility, 2nd Edition by Kit Laughlin. Mobility. Book Rating 10/10
- Overcoming Neck and Back Pain by Kit Laughlin. Mobility. Currently Reading.
- Movement: Functional Movement Systems: Screening, Assessment, Corrective Strategies by Gray Cook. Mobility. Rating 6/10
- Stretching: 30th Anniversary Edition by Bob Anderson. Mobility. Rating 5/10.
- 1,500 Stretches: The Complete Guide to Flexibility and Movement by Liebman, Hollis. Stretching
- Clinical Neurodynamics: A New System of Neuromusculoskeletal Treatment by Michael Shacklock. Mobility
- Back Mechanic by Dr. Stuart McGill. Mobility
- Real Movement: Perspective on Integrated Motion & Motor Control by Adam Wolf. Mobility. Not Interested
- The Science of Flexibility – 3rd Edition by Michael Alter. Mobility. Amazon Wishlist
- Muscle Mechanics – 2nd Edition by Everett Aaberg. Mobility. Amazon Wishlist
- Relax into Stretch by Pavel Tsatsouline. Mobility. Amazon Wishlist
- The Genius of Flexibility: The Smart Way to Stretch and Strengthen Your Body by Robert Donald Cooley. Mobility. Amazon Wishlist
- Stretching Scientifically: A Guide to Flexibility Training by Thomas Kurz. Mobility. Amazon Wishlist
- Gourmet Nutrition: The Cookbook for the Fit Food Lover by John Berardi. Book Rating 7/10
- Whole 30 by Melissa Hartwig. Book Rating 7/10
- Prescription for Nutritional Healing, Fifth Edition: A Practical A-to-Z Reference by Phyllis Balch. Book Rating 7/10
- The Shredded Chef: 120 Recipes for Building Muscle by Michael Matthews. Amazon Wishlist
Olympic Lifting Books
- Olympic Weightlifting: A Complete Guide for Athletes & Coaches by Greg Everett. Rating 10/10
- Olympic Weightlifting: Cues & Corrections by Daniel Camargo. Amazon Wishlist
Personal Training Books
- Workout: 33 Best Science-Based Workout Hacks by Felix Harder. Book Rating 8/10. My Book Review. This book is really an e-book and I read it for free. It’s really 33 tips (blog posts) rolled together into one e-book. 90% of the tips Harder gives are good tips. Since its free on the Kindle and on Scrib’d I recommend it. For free… it’s a good book. $10 maybe…
- Strength Training Anatomy Workout II by Frederic Delavier. Rating 4/10
- Ignite the Fire: The Secrets to Building a Successful Personal Training Career by Jonathan Goodman. Amazon Wishlist
- Conscious Coaching: The Art and Science of Building Buy-In by Brett Bartholomew. Amazon Wishlist
- Attention and Motor Skill Learning by Gabriele Wulf. Amazon Wishlist
Physical Therapy Books
- Muscle Energy Techniques by John Gibbons. Rating 9/10
- The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook: Your Self-Treatment Guide for Pain Relief. Third Edition by Clair Davies. Rating 8/10
- Anatomy Trains: Myofascial Meridians for Manual and Movement Therapists, 3e by Thomas Myers. Rating 8/10
- The Vital Psoas Muscle by Jo Ann Staugaard-Jones. Amazon Wishlist
- Trigger Point Therapy for Myofascial Pain by Donna Finando. Amazon Wishlist
- Muscle Energy Techniques: by Chaitow. Amazon Wishlist
- Therapeutic Exercise for Lumbopelvic Stabilization: A Motor Control Approach… Low Back Pain, 2e by Richardson. Amazon Wishlist
- The Athlete’s Shoulder, 2e by Andrews. Amazon Wishlist
- Book of Body Repair and Maintenance by the American Physical Therapy Association. Amazon Wishlist
Power Lifting Books
- Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training, 3rd edition by Mark Rippetoe. Rating 10/10
- Practical Programming for Strength Training by Mark Rippetoe. Rating 7/10
- 5/3/1: The Simplest and Most Effective Training System by Jim Wendler. Rating 5/10
- The Juggernaut Method 2.0 by Chad Smith. Amazon Wishlist.
- Tactical Barbell V1 and V2 by K. Black. Amazon Wishlist.
- The Cube Method by Brandon Lilly. Amazon Wishlist.
- 10/20/Life Second Edition by Brian Carroll. Amazon Wishlist.
- Powerlifting by Dan Austin. Amazon Wishlist.
Running and Endurance Training
- The Running Revolution by Nicholas Romonav. 10/10
- Power Speed Endurance by Brian MacKenzie. 7/10
- Unbreakable Runner by TJ Murphy. 7/10.
- Ready to Run by Kelly Starret. Amazon Wishlist.
- Human Locomotion by Thomas Michaud Starret. Amazon Wishlist.
- Build Your Running Body by Pete Magil. Amazon Wishlist
- Daniels’ Running Formula by Jack Tupper Daniels. Amazon Wishlist
Strength Training Books
- Strength Training Anatomy by Frederic Delavier. Rating: 10/10
- Designing Resistance Training Programs, 4th Edition by Steven Fleck. Rating: 7/10
- Advances in Functional Training by Michael Boyle. Rating: 1/10
- Science and Practice of Strength Training, 2nd Edition by Vladimir Zatsiorsky. Amazon Wishlist
- The Purposeful Primitive: Using the Primordial Laws of Fitness to Trigger … Physical Change by Marty Gallagher. Amazon Wishlist
TRX Suspension Training Books
- Suspended Bodyweight Training: Workout Programs for Total-Body Fitness by Kenneth Leung. Rating 5/10
- Complete Guide to TRX Suspension Training by Jay Dawes. Rating 3/10
- Yoga the Iyengar Way by Silva Mira. My Rating 10/10. Book Review: On everything from the Light on Yoga book. It’s a great book with no reservations. Excellent if you want to learn how to do the Iyengar style of yoga.
- Hot Yoga MasterClass by Gabrielle Raiz. My Rating 10/10. Book Review: Best book I have read on the Bikram Method
- The Power of Ashtanga Yoga by Kino McGregor. My Rating 9/10. Best book on Astanga that I have read.
- 2,100 Asanas: The Complete Yoga Poses by Daniel Lacerda. 8/10. Lots of poses, but not easy to browse this book. Makes a nice reference to lookup poses and find new modifications.
- Hatha Yoga Illustrated by Martin Kirk. My Rating 7/10. OK Book on general hatha asanas.
- Yoga Adjustments by Mark Stephens. My Rating 7/10. This book is good for helping adjust students.
- Yoga Mat Companion 2: Anatomy for Hip Openers and Forward Bends by Ray Long. My Rating 7/10
- Yoga Anatomy, 2d by Leslie Kaminoff. My Rating 6/10. This book contains a random selection of asanas with more detail than needed in some respects and not enough in others. There are better books available.
- Teaching Yoga: Essential Foundations and Techniques by Mark Stephens. My Rating 6/10. My Book Review: Best book I’ve read on how to cue and guide students. It’s designed to be used in conjunction with Mark Stephens other works.
- Yoga Mat Companion 3: Anatomy for Backbends and Twists by Ray Long. Not Yet Rated
- Light on Yoga: The Bible of Modern Yoga by B. K. S. Iyengar. My Rating 6/10. This books forms the heart of my practice along with Yoga the Iyengar way and Illustrated Light on Yoga. Only thing I don’t like about it is the poor organization and unsupported assertions of benefits to the poses. However, it’s a seminal work, and at the time it was made, probably the best book available.
- Ashtanga Yoga: The Practice Manual by David Swenson. My Rating 5/10. OK book on Astanga Yoga Practice.
- The Science of Yoga by William Broad. My Rating 3/10. I did learn a few things from this book. However, the author spends 300 pages to explain some simple concepts that could be explained in 20 pages. Don’t waste our time.
- Ashtanga Yoga by Grego Maehle. My Rating 3/10. There are better books on Astanga.
- The Key Muscles of Yoga: Scientific Keys, Volume I by Ray Long. My Rating 2/10
- It Takes Two to Yoga: Asanas for Couples & Partners by Zubin Atré. My Rating 2/10. A few good original poses. Most of the book is just copied information from other sources. It should just be on partner yoga.
- The Toolbox: Tools for Teaching Bikram Yoga by Almquist, Teri. My Rating 1/10. Pure Crap… save your money.
- Yoga with Weights by Sherri Baptiste. My Rating 1/10. Don’t waste your time with weights. The concept is dumb, and the book mediocre at best.
- The Complete Guide to Yin Yoga by Bernie Clark and Sarah Powers. Currently Reading.
- Yin Yoga Principles & Practice by Paul Grilley. Currently Reading.
- Essential Yoga: An Illustrated Guide to over 100 Yoga Poses and Meditation By Olivia H. Miller and Nicole Kaufman Amazon Wishlist
- The Yoga Bible by Christina Brown. Amazon Wishlist
- The Heart of Yoga: Developing a Personal Practiceby T. K. V. Desikachar. Amazon Wishlist
- Anatomy for Yoga: An Illustrated Guide to Your Muscles in Action by Leigh Brandon. Amazon Wishlist
- The Mirror of Yoga: Awakening the Intelligence of Body and Mind by Richard Freeman. Amazon Wishlist
- The Complete Guide to Yoga Inversions: Learn How to Invert, Float, and Fly with Inversions and Arm Balances by Jennifer DeCurtins. Amazon Wishlist
- Pick Your Yoga Practice: Exploring and Understanding Different Styles of Yoga By Meagan McCrary. Amazon Wishlist
- Yoga for Real People: A Year of Classes By Jan Baker. Amazon Wishlist
- The Yoga Beginner’s Bible. By Tai Morello. Amazon Wishlist
- Advanced Hatha Yoga: Classic Methods of Physical Education and Concentration. By Shyam Sundar Goswami. Amazon Wishlist
- The Complete Book of Vinyasa Yoga by Ramaswami, Srivatsa. Yoga